[ALAC] ALS certification and decertification votes

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Oct 2 21:30:39 UTC 2014

Thanks for the support of those who liked my approach.

For those still concerned by its potential harm to transparency, I
completely understand the concern. In response, I can recall fewer than
five instances, ever, in which the RALO advice has been undecided (out of
more than 180 ALSs approved to date). I foresee the vast majority of future
ALS applications continuing to be accompanied by unambiguous RALO advice,
for or against -- in which case, under my proposal, the ALAC certification
vote will remain open.

I believe that Alan's proposal of a vote closed to all but chair and staff,
in those VERY RARE cases where RALO advice is conflicted, is a reasonable
but necessary balance between accountability and conflict avoidance,