[ALAC] Co-Chair, Accountability CCWG
alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Sat Nov 15 16:17:35 UTC 2014
The Charter of the Accountability CCWG allows the ALAC to name a
Co-Chair. There is no rule regarding whether the Co-Chair is one of
the five Members that we plan to select or a non-Member Participant.
If we select a person as Co-Chair who is not one of our formal
Members, there is a question whether that person would be funded to
travel to any face-to-face meeting (for the IANA CWG, only Members
have been funded). I have asked whether a non-Member Co-Chair will be
funded, but as yet no reply.
My thoughts on the matter are:
1. We definitely want have a Co-Chair select by the ALAC.
2. We want to pick that person based on their ability to carry out
the job and to dedicate sufficient time to the process.
3. If ICANN will NOT fund a participant for travel, we should
restrict our selection to one of the five people selected to be Members
4. If a non-Member Co-Chair WILL be funded, Olivier's selection
committee should identify possible candidates (ie candidates not
selected as Members).
5. From this pool, Members and other possible Chairs, some may not
willing to act as Co-Chair.
6. The ALT should review the candidates and recommend the person to
be named Co-Chair (this is inline with other selections we have done
recently, the candidates would need to grant the ALT access to their
EoIs to be considered).
At this point, there is nothing we can really do until the selection
is done and we know the situation regarding funding.
I welcome thoughts on whether we should select a CCWG Co-Chair, and
if so, how do we go about doing this if different from my scenario above.
More information about the ALAC