[ALAC] Follow-up on the ALAC Advice to the Board regarding PICs

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Thu Nov 13 16:28:58 UTC 2014

Dear Alan,

thank you for this. I realise that time is of the essence, so will be
short in my comments:

1. This is a formal follow-up Advice from the ALAC. As such, when
mentioning names etc. it should be better if a certain level of
formality is upheld. When citing names, please cite the full name:
"The heightened protection measures announced by Fadi, at the start of
ICANN51"
-> The heightened protection measures announced by ICANN President and
CEO Fadi Chehadé, at the start of ICANN51"

2. Some light edits are needed for clarity:

"Representations from members of the ICANN Board that..."
-> Representations from some members of the ICANN Board that..."

"We are not aware of any multi-stakeholder input -- or any community
input at all -- that was solicited in the creation of the PICs."
-> We are not aware of any multi-stakeholder input -- or any community
input at all -- having been solicited in the creation of the PICs.

"That the only remedy available is after-the-fact is beyond the control
of the ICANN community; no opportunity was given to fix it while in
development;"
-> We reject the notion that since the only remedy available is
after-the-fact, it is beyond the control of the ICANN community: no
opportunity was given to fix it while in development;

"As a result of the above analysis, the NGWG prepared a statement,
endorse unanimously by ALAC and read during the Public Forum at ICANN51,
calling for a freeze on the most sensitive gTLDs (as defined by the GAC)
pending a review of the methods to instill public trust in these
especially-trust-sensitive TLDs."

-> As a result of the above analysis, the NGWG prepared a statement
which was endorsed unanimously by ALAC and read during the Public Forum
at ICANN51, calling for a freeze on the most sensitive gTLDs (as defined
by the GAC) pending a review of the methods to instill public trust in
these especially_trust-sensitive TLDs.

--- end of comments ---

I'll make a copy of these on the WIKI.

Kind regards,

Olivier

On 13/11/2014 08:01, Alan Greenberg wrote:
> You will recall that at ICANN51, the ALAC submitted a very
> controversial piece of Advice to the ICANN Board, specifically that
> the New gTLD applications and delegations for specific TLDs be frozen
> until appropriate public interest safeguards can be put in place. The
> TLDs in question were those referred to by the GAC as Category 1 TLDs
> in the fields of health, education, finance, charities and gambling,
> identified by the GAC as particularly sensitive, requiring enhanced
> safeguards to build public trust.
>
> I understand that this advice is under review by the Board New gTLD
> Process Committee (NGPC).
>
> Our statement has received a lot of notice, particularly by the
> Registries. A letter from the Registry Stakeholder Group to the ICANN
> Board is attached. They STRONGLY recommend that the Board reject our
> advice.
>
> Accordingly, I believe that we must quickly reinforce our position. I
> have asked Evan Leibovitch and the ALAC New gTLD WG to provide further
> details on the short statement approved in LA, so that it may be taken
> into consideration by the NGPC. The statement is attached.
>
> There is nothing in this statement that was not already implied in the
> advice we have already given, but it sets out the details in such a
> way as to (hopefully) make our advice harder for the Board to dismiss
> completely. As the Registry Stakeholder Group points out, a freeze
> would be problematic. We are not trying to cause problems, but we do
> believe that the public interest MUST be served.
>
> I believe that this matter is of extreme urgency. Accordingly I am
> taking the rather unusual step of requesting that staff immediately
> initiate a 4-day vote to ratify this statement. The vote will start as
> soon as staff can initiate it and will end on Tuesday, 18 November at
> 23:59 UTC.
>
> PLEASE VOTE AS SOON AS YOU CAN. Once the vote has received sufficient
> support as to ensure that it passes, I will notify the Board.

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD
http://www.gih.com/ocl.html