[ALAC] Follow-up on the ALAC Advice to the Board regarding PICs

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Nov 13 07:01:25 UTC 2014

You will recall that at ICANN51, the ALAC submitted a very
controversial piece of Advice to the ICANN Board, specifically that
the New gTLD applications and delegations for specific TLDs be frozen
until appropriate public interest safeguards can be put in place. The
TLDs in question were those referred to by the GAC as Category 1 TLDs
in the fields of health, education, finance, charities and gambling,
identified by the GAC as particularly sensitive, requiring enhanced
safeguards to build public trust.

I understand that this advice is under review by the Board New gTLD
Process Committee (NGPC).

Our statement has received a lot of notice, particularly by the
Registries. A letter from the Registry Stakeholder Group to the ICANN
Board is attached. They STRONGLY recommend that the Board reject our advice.

Accordingly, I believe that we must quickly reinforce our position. I
have asked Evan Leibovitch and the ALAC New gTLD WG to provide
further details on the short statement approved in LA, so that it may
be taken into consideration by the NGPC. The statement is attached.

There is nothing in this statement that was not already implied in
the advice we have already given, but it sets out the details in such
a way as to (hopefully) make our advice harder for the Board to
dismiss completely. As the Registry Stakeholder Group points out, a
freeze would be problematic. We are not trying to cause problems, but
we do believe that the public interest MUST be served.

I believe that this matter is of extreme urgency. Accordingly I am
taking the rather unusual step of requesting that staff immediately
initiate a 4-day vote to ratify this statement. The vote will start
as soon as staff can initiate it and will end on Tuesday, 18 November
at 23:59 UTC.

PLEASE VOTE AS SOON AS YOU CAN. Once the vote has received sufficient
support as to ensure that it passes, I will notify the Board.