[ALAC] Report from the High Level Panel

Rinalia Abdul Rahim rinalia.abdulrahim at gmail.com
Tue May 20 20:17:57 UTC 2014

FYI

> Global Panel Announces New Approach to Managing Future of the Internet |
Final Report Addresses Growing Interests in Internet Governance

> Click here to view the report » [PDF, 2.7 MB]
>
> The Panel on Global Internet Cooperation and Governance Mechanisms—a
global Panel of prominent stakeholders from diverse organizations and
governments—today released key recommendations on how to evolve the
Internet governance (IG) ecosystem to accommodate global needs for
collaboration, interconnectivity and Internet growth. The report also
presents a roadmap and timeline for the future management of the Internet.

> The report follows the Panel's third and final meeting, hosted by the
World Economic Forum in Dubai on 4-5 May. It adopts the IG principles
established at NETmundial, the recent Global Multistakeholder Meeting on
the Future of Internet Governance in São Paulo, Brazil. The Panel believes
these principles— human rights, culture and linguistic diversity, security
and stability, and open unfragmented space, among others—are fundamental to
implementing a 21st century model of Internet governance.

> "It has been an honor to serve as the chair of this distinguished Panel,
representing a diverse group of global stakeholders from government, civil
society, the private sector, the technical community and international
organizations," said Toomas Hendrik Ilves, President of Estonia and
chairman of the Panel. "We intend for the Panel's work to contribute to the
global discussion on how to preserve freedom of expression of the Internet."

> For the past six months, the Panel has worked to characterize key
components for promoting a collaborative, decentralized IG ecosystem—one
that can effectively meet the burgeoning needs and interests of Internet
users globally, while ensuring networks' security and stability. The Panel
identified needed Enablers—including forums and dialogues, expert
communities and toolkits—to foster communication, legitimacy and
effectiveness throughout the IG process, which the Panel defined in four
elements: issue identification, solution mapping, solution formulation and
solution implementation.

> "The Internet is an indispensable resource for its 3 billion users all
around the world. Ensuring that it remains open and interoperable and that
decision-making processes are carried out with the involvement of all
stakeholders is critical to the future of the Internet and its continued
success," said Vint Cerf, vice-chair of the Panel.

> "There is broad interest in how the Internet will be governed and by
whom," said ICANN's President and CEO Fadi Chehadé. "The discussions at
NETmundial reaffirmed the support and desire for a multistakeholder model
of governance and served as an inspiration for the Panel's recommendations."

> To achieve a collaborative, decentralized IG ecosystem, the Panel
recommends next steps mapped against a three-year timeline that include
coalescing and supporting broad multistakeholder alliances; developing new
and strengthening existing IG mechanisms; and progressing collaborative
decision-making. Recognizing the evolving IG dialogue and process, the
Panel also identified specific additional questions that will need answers
moving forward, and encouraged the global community to weigh in with its

> The Panel was convened by ICANN and the World Economic Forum (WEF), with
assistance from The Annenberg Retreat at Sunnylands. It met during a series
of virtual and in-person meetings between November 2013 to May 2014 in
London, Rancho Mirage, Calif., and Dubai. The Panel encourages the global
community to refine its roadmap through ongoing discussions and forums,
including the upcoming Global Commission on Internet Governance.

> Click here to learn more about the London meeting »
>
> Click here to learn more about the Sunnylands meeting »
>
> "In the spirit of WEF's global citizenship, it has been important to
partner with the Panel on the timely and momentous issue of Internet
governance," said Alan Marcus, senior director and head of Information
Technology and Telecommunications Industries at the WEF. "The Internet will
continue to grow exponentially in the years to come, and it will be
necessary to chart a path forward that allows for equitable opportunity for
current and future users."

> Members of The Panel on Global Internet Cooperation and Governance
Mechanisms include:

> Mohamed Al Ghanim, Founder and Director General of the UAE
Telecommunications Regulatory Authority; former Vice-Chair, UAE Information
and Communications Technology Fund; Chairman of WCIT-12
> Virgilio Fernandes Almeida, Member of the Brazilian Academy of Sciences;
Chair of Internet Steering Committee; National Secretary for Information
Technology Policies
> Dorothy Attwood, Senior Vice President of Global Public Policy, Walt
Disney Company
> Mitchell Baker, Chair, Mozilla Foundation; Chair and former CEO, Mozilla
Corporation
> Kathy Brown, President and CEO, Internet Society
> Francesco Caio, CEO of Avio; former CEO, Cable and Wireless and Vodafone
Italia; Founder of Netscalibur; broadband advisor in UK and Italy;
Government Commissioner for Digital Agenda
> Vint Cerf, Vice President and Chief Internet Evangelist for Google;
former Chairman, ICANN; Co-Founder of the Internet Society
> Fadi Chehadé, CEO and President of ICANN; Founder of Rosetta Net;
technology executive
> Nitin Desai, Indian economist and diplomat; former UN Undersecretary
General; convener of Working Group on Internet Governance (WGIG)
> Anriette Esterhuysen, Executive Director, Association for Progressive
Communications
> Byron Holland, President and CEO of the Canadian Internet Registration
Authority
> Toomas Hendrik Ilves, President of Estonia; former diplomat and
journalist; former Minister of Foreign Affairs; former Member of the
European Parliament
> Ivo Ivanovski, Minister of Information Society and Administration,
Macedonia; Commissioner to the UN Broadband Commission for Digital
Development
> Thorbjørn Jagland, Secretary General of the Council of Europe; former
Prime Minister and Foreign Minister of Norway
> Omobola Johnson, Minister of Communication Technology of Nigeria
> Olaf Kolkman, Director of NLnet Labs; "Evangineer" of the Open Internet;
former Chair of the Internet Architecture Board
> Frank La Rue, labor and human rights lawyer; UN Special Rapporteur on the
Promotion and Protection of the Right to Freedom of Opinion and Expression;
Founder, Center for Legal Action for Human Rights (CALDH)
> Robert M. McDowell, former U.S. Federal Communications Commissioner;
Visiting Fellow, Hudson Institute's Center for Economics of the Internet
> Andile Ngcaba, Chairman and Founder, Convergence Partners; Executive
Chairman, Dimension Data Middle East and Africa; former South African
Government Director General of Communications
> Liu Qingfeng, CEO and President of iFLYTEK; Director of National Speech &
Language Engineering Laboratory of China; Member of Interactive Technology
Standards working group
> Christoph Steck, Director Public Policy & Internet, Telefonica
> Jimmy Wales, Founder and Promoter of Wikipedia; Member of the Board of
Trustees of Wikimedia Foundation

Holli.Holsan at edelman.com or visit: www.internetgovernancepanel.org.