[ALAC] Compliance PIC enforcement

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Mar 26 03:51:01 UTC 2014

At the meeting between Compliance and ALAC on Sunday, Maguy reported
that there is a form on the ICANN web site for reporting alleged PIC
violations.

At the public compliance session today, it became clear that this
form was related to the PICDRP
(http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/applicants/agb/picdrp-19dec13-en.pdf).

The PICDRP is ostensibly applicable only if the complainant can claim
it has been harmed by the alleged non-compliance.

To quote: "1.1 Any person or entity that believes they have been
harmed as a result of a Registry Operator's act or omission in
connection with the operation of its gTLD that is non-compliant with
its PICs may report such alleged non-compliance by the Registry
Operator ("Reporter")."

During the session question period, I explicitly asked whether the
process was applicable if the complainant does not claim any harm to
the complainant.

The answer was less than crystal clear. We were told that Compliance
would evaluate the complaint and decide whether it had merit
(including following up with the complainant if the submitted
information was insufficient). On specific questioning of whether
they would consider it a valid complaint if no harm was demonstrated,
there was not a definitive answer. Related to this is my
understanding that even if a complaint *was* forwarded to the
Standing Panel, the rules under which it will operate would not allow
it to find for the complainant with harm being demonstrated.

I would suggest that the ALAC file an explicit written question with
compliance on this issue, since it is effectively the SAME question
that we have been asking for over a year now.

I would be happy to draft such a letter.