[ALAC] Compliance complaint

Garth Bruen gbruen at knujon.com
Sat Mar 15 14:16:28 UTC 2014

All,

Given the recent announcement by NTIA/DOC, it is more important than ever
for the Internet community to provide oversight of ICANN in new era of
global governance. The US couldn't keep its baby bird in the nest forever,
but this puts the responsibility on us.

So it appears Compliance has "gone into the bunker" if they won't respond to
ALAC or even the board. At least everyone now knows how it feels to be an
ordinary Internet user and not get results from ICANN Compliance. Is this
Accountability and Transparency? Why the secrecy?

It leaves us with a number a gaping concerns. The fact that they announced a
complaint limit increase from 100 to 300 should not be seen as an
improvement. If it is possible have unlimited registrations in a week, there
should be a capacity for unlimited complaints. That they lack the tools and
staff to deal with the "real-world" volume of complaints is of course a
fact, but it is something they should have fixed years ago. Honestly, this
should be marked as an overall organizational failure especially since they
have consistently claimed they have the resources they need and can handle
the expansion of new gTLDs.

In terms of expiry of the domain, this is irrelevant for many reasons,
already stated. "Henry Nguyen Gong" has 1,179 domains. This is not just a an
problem for the way Compliance accepts complaints, it's a problem for the
way ICANN deals with registrars. The important detail here is this is not a
"rogue domainer" but rather a specific issue within the registrar BizCn.
"Henry Nguyen Gong"/privacy-protect.cn is a privacy service ONLY offered
through BizCn. Privacy services are supposed only be offered by the
registrar or contracted through a registrar. So is this a rogue privacy
service or is it rogue behavior within BizCn. Either way it is another
violation of the RAA.

The new answer from ICANN/BizCn contradicts their earlier answers which is
incredibly problematic because BizCn's contract was renewed while this issue
was still on the table.

Along with the UDRP issue I sent earlier this calls for a comprehensive
approach to ICANN Compliance oversight. We need an ongoing effort that works
directly with Compliance on all areas within the mandate and we need real
cooperation, what has happened since is not even a shadow of cooperation.

-Garth