[ALAC] Comments from Jean-Jacques Subrenat - Community call - Enhancing ICANN Accountability

At-Large Staff staff at atlarge.icann.org
Thu Jun 5 16:15:41 UTC 2014

Dear All,

Jean-Jacques Subrenat will not be available today for the Community call
today on Enhancing ICANN Accountability, scheduled Thursday 5 June 2014 at
2000 UTC.

He has however, sent through the following contribution.
Thank you.
Kind regards,
Gisella
-------------
I would like to contribute to the discussion by elaborating a bit on the
chapters I suggested for this discussion,
2.a the environment that the Internet and ICANN operate in;
2.b the positions of important actors in ICANN's accountability;
2.d potential proposals and actions from ALAC in the new context.

I would be grateful if you would kindly circulate my remarks (below) in
advance of tonight's Community Call:

2.a) THE ENVIRONMENT THAT THE INTERNET AND ICANN OPERATE IN.
- While the technical and operational requirements remain crucial for the
Internet (security, reliability, capacity for scaling), one of the big
challenges is now Internet governance in all its complexity.
- To remain meaningful, the multi-stakeholder model needs to evolve.
Historically, the domain name business has been a driving force, but now it
is time to
- clarify the respective roles of stakeholders, including of sovereign
states,
 - place the Internet user perspective at the centre of any reform.

2.b) THE POSITIONS OF IMPORTANT ACTORS IN ICANN'S ACCOUNTABILITY.
Very schematically,
- the Snowden revelations have made global Internet users aware of their
fundamental rights, and the reasons put forward by public authority to
lessen or negate those rights (terrorism, child pornography). The Snowden
files have also amplified the call for the globalization of the Internet and
its management (making ICANN more global, oversight of the IANA
function...).
- Without the Snowden revelations, Washington may or may not have brought
forward the transfer of the oversight of the IANA function. So it is
important to understand the motivation of the USG, and the choices available
to Washington.
- In the same manner, it is important to understand the motivation and
options available to other "large" actors: Brazilia, Beijing, Moscow...
- More than ever, Internet governance now requires general guidelines (the
ones formulated in NetMundial can be used as a draft), and a commitment by
sovereign states to actually implement them. How can ICANN achieve this?

2.d) POTENTIAL PROPOSALS AND ACTIONS FROM ALAC IN THIS CONTEXT.
Suggestions:
- Have a hard look at the achievements of ALAC since its inception, by
reviewing
    - the real influence of ALAC comments and/or statements on the
orientation of ICANN?
    - number of ALSs vs. their effective impact (local feedback, user
needs)?
    - how can ALAC better represent the rights and requirements of Internet
users?
- Could a renovated ALAC agenda be implemented under the current Bylaws?
    - Must ALAC's work be restricted to ICANN processes only, or include the
wider perspective of the global Internet users?
    - What improvements can ALAC propose to preserve and enhance the MSM?
    - What are/should be the next strategic objectives of ALAC? One or
several more Board members originating from its ranks? A new arrangement of
ICANN's ACs and SOs?

Best regards,
Jean-Jacques.