[ALAC] [GTLD-WG] Re "Introduction of Two-Character Domain Names in the New gTLD Namespace" Public comment

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Sun Jul 13 16:54:34 UTC 2014

A couple of points:

- For this type of confusion to happen, the following would need to be true:
     = The unused two-letter code would have to
be registered before ISO-1366 was updated to include the new territory
     = the code was then included in 1366
     = it would have to be sufficiently well-known to cause confusion
   I think the coincidence of these is going to be pretty rare.

- If an argument is going to make ICANN treat
these new TLD differently than a host of old ones
that have already been granted this capability, I
think it will need to be pretty compelling and not an edge case.

- What ccTLDs do is completely out of our
control, and many are already allocating unused
1366 2nd level names (and some even used 1366 codes I think)

BTW, I find this debate great. Too often someone
makes a statement and everyone agrees. I find it
healthy that we do not agree on everything!

Alan