[ALAC] [GTLD-WG] Re "Introduction of Two-Character Domain Names in the New gTLD Namespace" Public comment

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Sun Jul 13 03:17:57 UTC 2014

I am all for making a statement if there is a real user issue here.

I just don't see it.

If I say a domain of ca.com, I would not likely
think that it is somehow related to Canada. In
fact, when I played that mind exercise I
immediately thought about a long-defunct computer
company called Coumputer Automation Inc. au.org
is a group called Americans United for Separation
of Church and State. Who is going to confuse that with Australia.

Personally I would not object to the release of
all 2-letter codes. BA.TRAVEL is going to mean
British Airways to most users. Perhaps there are
some that would take it as meaning Bosnia-and-Herzegovina.travel...

But remember, we are only talking about the two
letter codes that are NOT used and currently have
no meaning in relation to countries. If one day
they are allocated, as someone pointed out, there
is a good chance that the two letter code will
not be instantly recognizable as standing for its
new territorial owner. Is there really much likelihood of mass confusion?

If you can write up a credible statement about
potential user confusion, I am all for it.

Alan