[ALAC] [GTLD-WG] Re "Introduction of Two-Character Domain Names in the New gTLD Namespace" Public comment

Dev Anand Teelucksingh devtee at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 17:11:05 UTC 2014

There may not be massive changes to the ISO 3166 list by the ISO 3166
Maintenance Agency, but there have been additions and deletions
in the past 10 years.

For example in 2010,
http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_3166-1_newsletter_vi-8_split_of_the_dutch_antilles_final-en.pdf

BQ, CW and SX were added for Bonaire, Saint Eustatius and Saba , Curaçao
and Sint Maarten (Dutch part) in the Caribbean.

My thinking is, why deny new countries and territories from the protections
established by Specification 5, Section 2 intended to protect the 2
character ASCII labels of countries and territories?

Interesting idea that end users may mistake a 2 character ASCII label for
their country or territory e.g "AN" could be interpreted for Angola or
Antigua and Barbuda when it used to be for the Netherlands Antilles (now
removed as this territory no longer exists). Perhaps this was a reason for
having Specification 5, Section 2 in the gTLD Registry agreement to block
all 2 character ASCII labels.

There are many reserved names at the second level denied to new gTLD
operators.
See page 68 of the baseline registry agreement at
http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/applicants/agb/agreement-approved-09jan14-en.pdf
 under Specification 5 "Schedule of reserved names"

---
Dev Anand

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 3:41 PM, Mwendwa Kivuva <Kivuva at transworldafrica.com