[ALAC] Fwd: Proposed Joint Statement on IANA Transition and ICANN Accountability?

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed Jul 2 11:18:58 UTC 2014

Dear All,

those of you having attended the Public Forum on Thursday afternoon,
will have seen the Stakeholder Groups of the GNSO stand united at the
microphone to deliver a common message. As you note below, the ALAC was
asked to join in the common Statement but did not stand with the GNSO SGs.
The reason hinged on two main points:

1. not enough time to discuss the issue in the ALAC and reach consensus
on what action to take.
2. concern over the use of the term: "meaningful review and adequate
redress for those harmed by ICANN action"
"Redress" is a loaded term that some in our community flagged as being
inappropriate. It implies compensation, which could leave ICANN open to
being repeatedly sued, thus taking the sharpness out of its contractual
regulatory role.

With no consensus, the ALAC was unable to sign the declaration.

Kind regards,

Olivier

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD
http://www.gih.com/ocl.html