[ALAC] On TOR and Alternate DNS

Garth Bruen gbruen at knujon.com
Thu Jan 9 19:30:50 UTC 2014

Hello all,

I have been looking to introduce some discussion subjects which are becoming
more critical in our space but have been considered off-limits or even taboo
by some in the ICANN world. While in BA Glenn and I met with Patrik Falstrom
from SSAC to talk about TOR and other topics.

For those who do not know The Onion Routing (TOR) is a system that provides
additional privacy or obscurity to Internet communications by extending and
blurring the network path. The regular DNS, of course, works by using the
shortest, best-known traffic paths for quick communication and keeps
extensive logs in various places for troubleshooting. While this method
makes sense for effective data movement it also exposes Internet users to
spying, stalking, interception, etc. TOR works in the opposite way by
dropping information using very long network routes to make source
identification nearly impossible.

This presents challenges as well as opportunities. Most of the media
attention about TOR has been on the illicit side, how criminals have used it
to conduct illegal commerce in secret. However, there are a large number of
people who depend on TOR to protect their identity for completely legitimate
reasons. This week I met with Kelley Misata from the TOR Project in Boston
who has championed the use of this technology for various victims and people
under threat. I think it is important for us as policy-makers to have open
discussions about this technology.

As far as it relates to ICANN, TOR represents an alternate method of
Internet communications. While there is no domain system, TOR issues what it
calls "domains" in the form of unique strings which bind to IP addresses and
serve content through those unique strings. These "domains" can only be
reached with TOR. There is no governing body, registry system, or costs for
these "domains." Yes, it is confusing as to how TOR can look like a DNS but
not be a DNS, others can explain it much better than me.

Additionally, there are other DNS roots out there which ICANN has no
authority over. These roots have been created for a variety of purposes and
I have complied a list of over 600 "unsanctioned" TLDs which can be accessed
with different configurations.

I have proposed that at the Singapore meeting we have a session where these
topics can be presented and discussed for our benefit and awareness. I will
add this as a discussion item on the next NARALO call and propose it be
discussed on the next ALAC call.

Thanks, Garth

Garth Bruen
gbruen at knujon.com

“If history is deprived of the Truth, we are left with nothing but an idle,
unprofitable tale” -Polybius