[ALAC] ICANN President's Globalization Advisory Groups

Rinalia Abdul Rahim rinalia.abdulrahim at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 04:31:01 UTC 2014

The advisory groups are meant to be populated by board members.

I don't see this development as a negative. It is about the board
mobilizing in response to a real possibility of change (can be perceived as
a risk situation or an opportunity).  Scenarios need to be drawn up to
identify options based on degrees of change that would be tolerable by the
system.

It does create more work for some (and coherence with the rest of what
ICANN is doing requires serious attention), but I think the board is doing
what it should be doing.

Approaches can be initiated top down, bottom up or a blend of both. What is
important is consultation across the community (to discern potential impact
and gaps) as well as the quality of the options generated.

Best regards,

Rinalia