[ALAC] Fwd: Re: CALL FOR COMMENTS: ALAC Statement on the Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information Working Group SO-AC Input Request

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue Feb 18 18:51:54 UTC 2014

I hadn't planned to get involved in this discussion, but I see some hot
buttons being pushed.

   - The question of "should it be done" rather than "who pays" is being
   dealt with at the EWG, as Carlton says, and I am hesitant to comment on
   that matter until their work is done.

   - Regarding "who pays": unless registries are to be subsidized by ICANN
   for T/T functions, I'm not sure it is at all viable, let alone reasonable,
   to demand that costs not be borne by those who ultimately are using the
   services. Demanding that registrars and registries not have the flexibility
   to adjust prices based on their expenses is dangerous territory. A
   requirement that such costs not be levied as a separate fee -- but rather
   be buried in the core prices -- is a form of financial micromanagement that
   is not necessarily worth the effort.

   - In domains, T/T is not IMO necessarily a right. I don't expect to be
   able to demand English processes from a site regarding a TLD catering to a
   non-English audience. If it is provided, that is an extra service -- an
   optional one, for which I might expect to pay more (or use an external
   translation service). In a competitive environment comprising hundreds of
   TLDs, some will cater to my particular needs -- linguistic and otherwise --
   more than others. That is the design of the program.

   - As for "end users" versus "registrants" as the core of At-Large's
   concern, that is a thorny issue but one that comes up frequently. I am
   interested to see if the registrant side of the GNSO -- the BC, NCUC and
   NPOC, to be specific -- share this concern about who bears the costs of
   T/T. I would be hesitant to make any pronouncement in support of
   registrants that does not have at least noticeable support within ICANN's
   existing registrant stakeholder groups.

   - In the absence of such support from elsewhere in ICANN, I am hard
   pressed, from the Internet end-user-centric viewpoint, to make a case
   either way regarding who pays for T/T functions and how it is paid.

So I would suggest that we can wait for a statement until the EWG and
approproate At-Large working groups are further along. As Rinalia says,
there will be future opportunities to comment once the new information is
in our hands.

And ... it is IMO redundant to make a statement simply saying we reserve
the right to comment later.

- Evan

On 18 February 2014 12:39, Rinalia Abdul Rahim <rinalia.abdulrahim at gmail.com