[ALAC] Fwd: Re: CALL FOR COMMENTS: ALAC Statement on the Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information Working Group SO-AC Input Request

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Mon Feb 17 02:59:49 UTC 2014

Ultimately, registrants pay ALL of the costs, since they are the only
significant source of funding. The only substantive issue (that I
see) is how much obfuscation there is in tracing and attributing any
translation/transliteration cost and whether the registry/registrar
can be seen to be charging differential fees based on whether T/T is
needed. The only other potential funder is those who look at the
data, and that is a MUCH smaller pool by several orders of magnitude
and not likely a useful source for funding what may be a significant cost.

Note that presumably the Registration EWG is working with an
assumption that the great new registration system in the sky will not
be limited to 7-bit ASCII, so the question that they are looking at
is different from the one today where we are, for the known future,
subject to that limitation. I note that there is ANOTHER expert
working group looking specifically at the T/T issue in parallel with the PDP.

NOTE TO STAFF: In converting the e-mail at the start of the workspace
to PDF format, all of the hyperlinks to the background documents were lost.

Alan