[ALAC] FW: European Commission comments - ICANN Auction Rules in the new gTLD program

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 15:15:02 UTC 2014

...um, maybe I'm misreading but if the content is exactly what was
released, the EC endorsed the ALAC's position but seems to have attributed
it to the GAC in the very next sentence!

*3.       **ALAC - Community applications statement*

It is important to make a specific reference to the At-Large Community
(ALAC) statement of 9.08.2013 on preferential treatment for community
applications in string contention; ALAC stressed that some of the new
gTLD applications that are intended for communities and have wide public
support were not submitted as community applications; those applications
are currently in contention with others not designed for the benefit of
specific communities and driven purely by commercial considerations. In
this regard the European Commission (consistent with its position in the
GAC) fully endorses the GAC view that community applications and
applications with community support should be given preferential
treatment in the new gTLD string contention resolution process, and
remind the clear above mentioned GAC Beijing and Durban Communiques.

-Carlton

Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799