[ALAC] ICANN Accountability track news

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Fri Aug 8 07:50:48 UTC 2014

Dear Holly,

my answers inline:

On 08/08/2014 01:59, Holly Raiche wrote:

> I support Evan’s observations  on numbers, but that is probably not changeable.  It would, however, be nice to have an explanation from someone (in case anyone is in charge) as to when this chart was formed, tasks and numbers assigned, etc.

GNSO SG leaders appear unhappy with the numbers since they have more
people than anyone else in the "assembly" group and only 1 member in the
"council" group. There has been no feedback from staff about this so
far. Also, there has been no response from staff to the question that
was asked about when or how this chart was formed.

> Next observation - we do have to get moving on a process for selection of 8 people.  But first - what sort of time ware we asking of people, and to what end - i.e., what are the end products of both circles, and in what timeframe?  We need those answers before we ask anyone to put their hand up.

None of these questions have been answered. With GNSO leaders being
unhappy with the current proposal, it looks as though the process is
rolling backwards. However, I have insisted that the accountability
process needs to be completed before the transition of stewardship of
the IANA contract takes place. With the time being wasted at the moment,
this is likely to show a very tight schedule.

> There is now a very clear need for the FCWG taking up the accountability issue - to feed thoughts/suggestions etc to whomever puts their hand up for either of the circles. And I would also suggest that we make accountability as the topic for a multi stakeholder forum in Los Angeles (and yes, I”m happy to organise).  It would at least get different parties around the one table, and add clarity and input into whomever is doing what on the accountability issues.

On the selection of people for the cross community groups, the ALT
discussed the possibility of using the same selection committee than the
one that selected our representatives on the IANA Coordination Group. I
have asked members of our selection committee to stand down if they wish
to apply for the cross-community accountability group(s). Next I will be
contacting RALOs to replace the people that have stood down. So our own
ALAC processes for selection are all on track.

> So please, first, is there any more information on the accountability circles, and next - what is the timeframe for selection of 8 people?

No further information since my last message. The timeframe for
selection of 8 people is also unknown.

Kindest regards,

Olivier