[ALAC] Singular/Plural in new gTLDs

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Wed Sep 4 17:22:16 UTC 2013

I would note, again, that consumers are already used to endless
near-collisions in DNS namespace, based on experience at the second level.

As one of many examples. "car.com" and "cars.com" point to
directly-competing entities both marketing primarily on their domain names.
It's one thing when a typo gets you to a squatter's park page, quite
another when it goes to a completely different website offering the *exact
same thing* as you were looking for, and there's no attempt to mislead.

Consumers are used to that. By now, I'm fairly certain that end-users would
NOT trust "genericword.com" to be a definitive source of information -- let
alone sales -- regarding that word. (Of course, having research regarding
such trust levels would be EXTREMELY useful in guiding future outcomes, yet
ICANN refuses to do such research. I suspect it is terrified of the likely
results)

- Evan