[ALAC] Singular/Plural in new gTLDs

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Wed Sep 4 16:48:08 UTC 2013

On 4 September 2013 10:44, Rinalia Abdul Rahim <rinalia.abdulrahim at gmail.com
> wrote:

> They would have to be bundled and allocated to the same entity, Alan. No
> other way around it.

Not necessarily.

As has been said, plurals and singulars could be added to the same
contention set. That is, applications for ".hotels" and applications for
".hotel" would be grouped as if they were multiple applications for the
same string. Any applicant that applied for both plural and singular --
probably defensively -- could apply for a refund for one should they
choose. That doesn't mean that the winning applicant would get both. They'd
get the one they applied for and the other(s) would be unallocated.

Having singulars and plurals of a string in parallel delegation -- even
from the same registry -- would still be a source of consumer confusion.

- Evan