[ALAC] CONSENSUS CALL: Re: Proposed letter re: Brazil summit

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Thu Oct 17 22:09:51 UTC 2013

Dear Evan,

thank you for your kind email.
Seeing support voiced from some ALAC members and seeing this letter as
being constructive in supporting the Internet's multi-stakeholder model,
I am conducting a CONSENSUS CALL on sending this letter to the ICANN
Chief Executive Officer, as described on the page:
https://community.icann.org/x/kQifAg

If I do not hear opinions AGAINST sending this correspondence out, I'll
email Fadi Chehadé the contents of this correspondence within 24 hours.
The correspondence will then go through the usual ALAC Statement
ratification process and we should be able to have a Statement by the
end of next week.

Why a consensus call?
Because, as Evan rightly said, it is important that the ICANN CEO
receives this message of support from our community *prior* to arriving
at the Internet Governance Forum which takes place next week in Bali.
Formal ratification of this Statement would delay it until it is too
late. We could have sent it as an un-ratified Statement but since it was
not given a formal, wider distribution than the ALAC list itself, the
above plan is wiser.

Kind regards,

Olivier

On 11/10/2013 18:36, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> I wish to propose that the letter below be approved by the ALAC at its next
> meeting.
> I have put a version of this letter on the ALAC Confluence wiki
> site<https://community.icann.org/display/alacpolicydev/Proposed+letter+re%3A+Brazil+Summit>
> .
>
> (Carbon copies to Steve Crocker and Dilma Rousseff, as well as public
> distribution)
> ---------------------
>

> Fadi Chehade,
> CEO, ICANN
>

> Dear Fadi.
>
> The ALAC welcomes the announcement by you and Brazilian President Dilma
> Rousseff of a major summit of government, civil society, academia to take
> place next year in Rio de Janeiro.  We congratulate your acting on the
> recommendations offered in the 2012 ALAC White Paper, “Making ICANN
> Relevant, Responsive and
> Respected<http://www.atlarge.icann.org/correspondence/future-challenges-white-paper-17sep12-en.pdf>”,
> both regarding the proposed summit and reflected in the recent "Montevideo
> statement" by you and other Internet leaders,
>
> ICANN's global At-Large community looks forward to actively contributing to
> this effort. You can count on our help and support in creating a truly
> diverse, inclusive and purposeful event.
>
> Sincerely,
> the ICANN At-Large Advisory Committee

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD
http://www.gih.com/ocl.html