[ALAC] [At-Large] [Registrants-rights] That Revised PICDRP

Jean-Jacques Subrenat jjs at fastmail.fm
Sun Oct 6 04:36:53 UTC 2013

Hello Fouad,

you make a good case for having and implementing a communication policy in ALAC. I agree. How can we go about this?

The dilemma, and sometimes the challenge for ALAC, is that it was created to keep the kids warm and happy. They were invited to comment on ongoing discussions happening elsewhere. Failing that first step, there was no prospect of ALAC ever becoming a serious interlocutor. Thanks to the progress achieved over the past few years (kudos to the successive Chairs and members), ALAC has earned the respect of the community, and on occasion is even heeded by the Board.

As we know, the turning point came at the end of the Review of ALAC by the Board, with the recommendation that one Board seat, with voting rights, be offered to our community. This status has provided visibility and respectability. But the work is still, to a large extent, about reacting to discussions going on elsewhere.

Without a fundamental -and at this stage, unlikely- reform of ICANN, ALAC's role will remain advisory. But even with that statutory limitation, it is within our own power, and ability, to shift part of our effort from reacting to initiating, from sharing someone else's agenda to defending the global public interest on our own, or with a set of issues-based alliances.

This is where a communication policy becomes necessary. Fouad, you suggest a WG: why not. Other approaches are possible:
a) ALAC's Executive Committe could be asked to include in its agenda, say 4 times a year, a serious discussion on communication policy and implementation;
b) alternatively, a person within the ExeCom, or simply a member of ALAC, could be asked to be the focal point for such a task;
c) or, as you suggest Fouad, a WG could be created to include people from a wider circle, capable of providing professional advice and carry out actual work in this respect;
d) and, or course, we could combine the above b + c.

>From experience, I'd say that in this instance the structure is not the crucial part. The policy is. And the implementation.

I'm willing to help.

Jean-Jacques.