[ALAC] [At-Large] [Registrants-rights] That Revised PICDRP

Jean-Jacques Subrenat jjs at fastmail.fm
Sun Oct 6 04:09:17 UTC 2013

Hello Holly & All,

good! Here's an outline for "New gTLDs: taking stock and looking forward from the user perspective". At this stage, I see no point in actually drafting, so the following are just place-holders or, at most, headings:

1) TAKING STOCK
   - the stated rationale for a vast and coordinated expansion of gTLD space
   - the genetic weakness of a constituency-by-constituency approach: magnifying detail, losing the wider view
   - the business bias: understandable, legitimate in its own logic, but insufficient
   - from rationale to implementation: diverging interests, incremental adjustments, the loss of global aim
   - consequences for the global Internet user: areas of negative impact

2) LOOKING FORWARD
   - the new gTLD programme must be placed in the wider context: what Internet governance, what MSM?
   - diverging interests (DNS businesses vs. general user): defining a new equilibrium, but consciously
   - it is time to refocus ICANN, from being perceived as an industry association, to recognition that it serves the global public interest
   - the difficult but inescapable overhaul this implies
   - process & calendar of this joint effort.

Having only just discovered the very interesting remark by Fouad Bajwa that the ALAC needs a communication policy, I will be responding in a separate email.

Jean-Jacques.