[ALAC] Fwd: ALAC Statement on the Preferential Treatment for Community Applications in String Contention

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Tue Nov 19 13:25:43 UTC 2013

FYI

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	ALAC Statement on the Preferential Treatment for Community
Applications in String Contention
Date: 	Tue, 19 Nov 2013 10:24:52 -0300
From: 	Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com>
To: 	Heather.Dryden Dryden <Heather.Dryden at ic.gc.ca>, Tracy F. Hackshaw
@ Google <tracyhackshaw at gmail.com>, Nettlefold, Peter
<Peter.Nettlefold at dbcde.gov.au>, <Thomas.Schneider at bakom.admin.ch>
<Thomas.Schneider at bakom.admin.ch>
CC: 	ICANN AtLarge Staff <staff at atlarge.icann.org>, gacsec at icann.org,
Carlton Samuels <carlton.samuels at gmail.com>, Evan Leibovitch
<evan at telly.org>

Correspondence Ref: AL-ALAC-CO-1113-01-00-EN

Att: Heather Dryden - GAC Chair

Dear Heather,

further to our brief discussion yesterday, please be so kind to find
attached the August 2013 Statement the ALAC sent to the Board New gTLD
Program Committee (NGPC) regarding the Preferential Treatment of
Community Applications in String Contentions.

The reply from the NGPC received by the ALAC was published on:
http://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/alac/2013/007330.html

The response from the NGPC rejected the point made by the ALAC that
applications with demonstrable support, appropriate safeguards and
strong emphasis on community service should be accorded preferential
treatment in the new gTLD string contention resolution process.

The ALAC is concerned that the matter of Public Interest is being
dropped in the treatment of Community Applications in String Contention.
The final choice of successful gTLD applicant being an Auction and
therefore only involving commercial power does not, in our view,
necessarily serve the Public Interest.
On behalf of my Community, I hope that your members will be able to
consider the ALAC's Advice and the response from the NGPC in your future
work, should you decide this is a topic the GAC wishes to address.

Kindest regards,

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond
ALAC Chair