[ALAC] Request for Compliance Follow Up

Garth Bruen gbruen at knujon.com
Sun Nov 17 20:38:20 UTC 2013

Olivier,

The comments by Compliance in the earlier session contradict claims made by
a registrant. The full document in question can be found here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u0fko3z74d6q051/ICANN_complaint_Dropbox.pdf. The
registrant's domain was taken in an unauthorized transfer and the response
from ICANN Compliance (in part) was:

"please note that claims of domain hijacking are not within ICANN's
contractual authority to address. ICANN is not a government agency, but
rather a private sector, not-for-profit organization with limited technical
responsibility for coordinating the unique assignment
of Internet domain names and IP addresses."

I am completely befuddled by the Compliance response in today's session
which insisted they investigate all complaints, but the response above to
the registrant merely says "we don't do that."

I would like an official response (in writing is preferred) for whenever our
next meeting is scheduled, as recommended by Compliance. The response to
this affects the way millions of domain registrants will view ICANN's
management in terms of consumer trust.

Thanks, Garth

-------------------------------------

Garth Bruen
gbruen at knujon.com

617-947-3805
http://www.knujon.com
Chair of ICANN At-Large North America (naralo.org)
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/4/149/724
Blog:
http://www.digitalcitizensalliance.org/cac/alliance/blog.aspx?ident=garth
Twitter: @Knujon

"If history is deprived of the Truth, we are left with nothing but an idle,
unprofitable tale" -Polybius