[ALAC] [technical-issues] Fwd: Invitation to an ICANN Advice kick-off workshop, Sunday, November 17 in Buenos Aires

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed Nov 13 23:17:39 UTC 2013

Thanks for this suggestion Cheryl.

Indeed, we need to build this community. I have discussed the building
of a technical community within the At-Large ranks with IETF old timers
but with little success so far. There still exists a deep distrust of
ICANN - and a belief that being involved in At-Large on technical issues
is a loss of time. I am hoping that the recent work that has taken place
at top level with the ICANN CEO inviting the current IETF Chair to the
ICANN meeting in Durban & the return invitation of the ICANN CEO to the
Berlin IETF meeting will eventually yield some warming up of relations.
I am also hoping that the recent development in the I* community will
also naturally bring technical people to the At-Large ranks.

Of course, there are also views within the At-Large community that there
is no place for technical people in At-Large. After all, the Board has a
Technical Liaison Group, and there's SSAC too, and RSSAC who are all
technically minded. The fact is, though, that none of the other
technically-minded Advisory Committees are political in nature. They
will advise the Board on technical matters but they might find it a lot
harder to *drive* issues to the Board and to other parts of ICANN. The
ALAC, through its very broad mandate, is able to *drive* those issues.
It has done so on advice regarding dotless & clashing top level domains,
by *driving* SSAC advice to the Board but also to the GAC.

In short, without a reliable and active Technical Issues WG, the ALAC is
likely to let down Internet Users by not defending them on matters that
are technical in nature.

The technical issues WG needs, in my opinion: 1. a driving force that
will keep it alive and buzzing and 2. to go on an outreach drive,
getting people from IETF, from W3C and other technical organisations, to
join it and contribute to it.

This will not happen serendipitously. The work on IDNs that the At-Large
Community has published is thanks to the hard work and leadership of a
couple of people in the At-Large IDN WG. My proposal is that the
Technical Issues WG get rejuvenated.

Kind regards,

Olivier