[ALAC] Board seat electorate

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Nov 13 14:05:09 UTC 2013

Several comments:

- I was not proposing a formal change to the RoP document at this
time - such a change requires a quite complicated procedure. Since
the proposal is not changing anything that is already in the RoP, the
ALAC can implement the proposal by a simple decision process. Of
course, it should later be incorporated into the RoP).

- The change that Tijani is proposing would require a formal change
of the RoP because it changes existing provisions (19.9.1 ... RALOs
have an opportunity to suggest adding candidates to that list... and
19.9.3 Candidates will be added only if they receive support ... of
at least three of the five RALOs...)

- I am not sure what the real problem is that it is fixing, that is
so urgent as to require a change in the middle of the selection process.

- We had MUCH discussion about the RALO additional candidate process
and the current procedure was put in place quite deliberately. The
proposal would limit the number of candidates added by RALOs to 1,
something that I personally might be able to support, but a very
significant change from what the ABSdt designed with the approval of At-Large.

Alan