[ALAC] Board seat electorate

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Tue Nov 12 22:49:01 UTC 2013

It appears that we have an issue that was not thought about when the
new ALAC RoP were contemplated. Specifically, we have a person who
will be both a RALO Chair and an ALAC member (for APRALO), thus
holding two votes in the Board member election. From my point of
view, this is not a great situation.

We can either leave things as they are, or approve an additional rule
allowing the Chair vote to be cast by someone else. That is similar
to rules we already have for potential voters who cannot vote due a
conflict. Since the RoP are silent on this issue, the under RoP
10.1.3, the ALAC is empowered to approve an additional rule without
formally modifying the RoP. I would suggest the following. The second
sentence also covers another case we forgot, specifically if an ALAC
member is sick or otherwise unavailable to participate.

>If A RALO Chair is not currently filled, or unavailable to
>participate as an elector, or should the RALO Chair also hold a vote
>as an ALAC member, the RALO for his/her region will name a
>replacement for the purposes of the vote. This replacement must be
>approved by vote of the RALO according to its rules. If an ALAC
>member is unavailable to participate as an elector, the RALO for
>his/her region will name a replacement for the purposes of the vote.
>This replacement must be approved by vote of the RALO according to its rules.

If we want to make such a change, it should really be done in BA.