[ALAC] ALS decertification

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue May 28 23:07:48 UTC 2013

On 28 May 2013 15:10, Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca> wrote:

> Thanks Yaovi. I agree that adding the line about
> ISOC makes the disappearance clearer, but I think
> it also adds something that could get us into trouble.

I disagree, and support Yaovi's amendment.

Indicating that we have checked with "the" Internet Society and they have
indicated that the Pakistan Chapter no longer exists, simply indicates an
extra level of due diligence was undertaken to ensure that all reasonable
steps have been made to establish viability and/or contact.

I would also note that the use of the term "Pakistan _*Chapter*_" strongly
indicates that this was a subordinate body of a larger one (not the case in
China) and that we have made a good-faith attempt to verify our information
with the only body known by the name "internet society" to have multiple
international chapters.

The motions simply detail our good-faith attempt to make all reasonable
efforts to establish contact before taking this extreme measure. These
details do not obligate us to take the same exact measures for any future
circumstance of this nature; the "without prejudice" sentence in both
motions makes that intent quite explicit IMO.

- Evan