[ALAC] BGC decision of NCSG reconsideration request on TM+50

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Tue May 21 09:20:28 UTC 2013

Alan,
You're right, the policy/implementation d-mark does indeed move. And it is
depends on which environmental variable is ascendant. Sometimes it is a
personality and the force of that personality.  Other times is an issue and
the satellites with heightened interest around it.  Because the power
relationships in ICANN are both volatile and fungible.

To my mind, this TM+50 is just another instance that rubbishes the argument
'ICANN cannot be a regulator since it is not a state' and 'policy is policy
and implementation is implementation'.  So, here it is again, ICANN as
policy giving gifts as if it were a state. And indeed, with implementation
as in this case MORE generous than any state. [Interestingly in the
conversations leading up, Hong has pointed out the 50 variants of variants
really means a factorial expansion, an almost limitless extension of
trademark rights online as opposed to the brick and mortar world.]

But if ICANN is petitioned to act to protect a community from the impact of
its most deleterious statist actions, we are told 'that is regulation and
we don't do that'!  Go figure.

-Carlton

Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799