[ALAC] BGC decision of NCSG reconsideration request on TM+50

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Tue May 21 04:40:01 UTC 2013

http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/governance/reconsideration/recommendation-ncsg-16may13-en.pdf

To cut to the result, the BCG rejected the request to overturn the
inclusion of TM+50 into the TMCH.

Part of the decision was based on the fact that the original TMCH
implementation itself, a result of the STI effort, was deemed (by the
GNSO and all of us) to be part of the IMPLEMENTATION of
Recommendation 3 of the GNSO new gTLD PDP:

>Strings must not infringe the existing legal rights of others that
>are recognized or enforceable under generally accepted and
>internationally recognized principles of law. Examples of these
>legal rights that are internationally recognized include, but are
>not limited to, rights defined in the Paris Convention for the
>Protection of Industry Property (in particular trademark rights),
>the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) and the
>International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) (in
>particular freedom of expression rights).

As such, can a change or refinement to this "implementation" be
anything other than still just implementation? This is to some extent
supported by the minority position that the ALAC took on the STI
report, specifically that the ALAC supported some level of TM +
service/product being in the TMCH. We also supported common law
trademarks in addition to registered trademarks. *IF* the STI had
bowed to our wisdom on these issues, both of these would have been in
the TMCH design.

But the STI did not overall agree, and they did not end up in the design.

Similarly, if the TM+50 had been raised during the STI and had won
(not very likely in my opinion, just as our pet issues above did not
win), then this too would have been part of the default implementation.

Which of course now raises an interesting question.

Why would these "features" have simply been part of the
"implementation" of the TMCH is we had won the arguments in late
2009, but when we considered the TM+50 earlier this year, we
forcefully felt that this was clearly policy?

The answer is not obvious, and yet it seems to be at the core of the
visceral reaction that many of us have on the question of policy vs
implementation.

I won't pretend that I have the answer to this. But I think that part
of understanding it is to recognize that virtually all policy in the
gTLD realm leads to implementation. Recent PDPs (and the new PDP
process in the Bylaws) allow for an implementation team that helps
ensure that the staff designed implementation follows both the word
AND the intent of the policy. Indeed, one can consider that all of
ICANN spent several years being the "implementation team" supporting
the design of the New gTLD process and the AG.

I am starting to suspect that as policy takes on a concrete form
during implementation, in peoples minds, the arrived at
implementation and the original policy became meld together and
become inseparable. It is a bit of a scary conclusion, because it
means that, in our minds, the line between policy and implementation
for any given issue, MOVES over time.

On a completely different issue, that of the new desired right of
ICANN to change registry agreements without the concurrence of the
registries (and outside of Consensus Policy) seems to validate my
conclusion. One of the arguments that registries have made is that
this option was already discussed several years ago and was discarded
at that time, SO IT SHOULD NOT BE RAISED AGAIN. In effect, the
elimination of that option several years ago enshrined NOT doing it
in effective policy.

I admit that much of what I have written here is really
stream-of-consciousness (and it is a bit past midnight now!), and I
have not fully thought it through, but I felt it important to capture
it and I look forward to comments.