[ALAC] Fwd: ICANN’s Noncommercial Users Requ est Board Review of Staff Decision to Expand Scop e of Trademark Clearinghouse in Violation of ICAN N’s Bylaws

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu May 2 06:12:14 UTC 2013

I would strongly suggest that we keep the two issues separate. The
lack of variant support, but at the DNS level and in the TMCH (two
separate issues) is not one of ICANN's proudest moments (to
understate the situation). And it is one that ALAC is in the process
of speaking on. Hopefully with some positive impact.

The +50 "variations" of trademarks is a completely separate issue. It
does not change the CH repository or checking for matches
sunrise/claims time. It allows a TM holder to register additional
strings based on UDRP/Court decisions for TMs already in the CH. As
we know, this is a very contentious proposal, and one that has now
resulted in a request for Board reconsideration. Best to keep this
issue far away from that of IDN variants. Co-mingling the two can
only result in slowing the first implementation.

In its earlier statements, the ALAC objected to the process followed
to create this new rights mechanism as we deemed it to be a policy
matter without following a reasonable development process. We did
support the overall intent as it was somewhat related to the ALAC
minority position taken on the STI, supporting the concept of
allowing the entry into the CH of TMs plus terms associated with
products or services (ie EXXON-GAS, Dell-computers). In the draft
statement that was suggested to be issues along with the NCSG at the
last open forum, we would have gone on record as saying that we would
not support 50 variations for EACH copy of an identical TM where an
entity (or related entities) has multiple entries in the CH for
registrations in multiple jurisdictions. As Rinalia suggests, this is
a position that the ALAC certainly could reconsider if it wished.

Alan