[ALAC] Rules of Procedure - Draft for discussion at 26 March ALAC meeting

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed Mar 27 09:59:07 UTC 2013

Dear Avri,

On 26/03/2013 12:25, Avri Doria wrote:
> I think it is interesting to note how willing ALAC seems to transfer decisions to ever smaller groups while remaining reluctant to give the ALSes and members any role in decision making.
>
> When it is a matter of allowing voting rights to the ALSes, the subject is first buried and then will allowed a a brief discussion  at  a meeting after the new procedures have been voted on by ALAC.  When it comes to changes like giving the ALT more decision making ability, it is easily done.

You are comparing Apples with Oranges. Giving voting rights to ALSes to
vote for a Board Director directly is a significant change in the
At-Large Operating procedures. It reverses 11 years of work that we have
done to build the ALAC, the RALOs, the whole structure that we work on.

Giving the ability to the ALAC to delegate limited responsibility on an
ad-hoc basis just makes sense for operational purposes. As Alan
mentioned recently, this has been used informally from time to time for
decisions which did not require the staging of a full ALAC meeting. If
every single decision needed full ALAC intervention, we'd end up with a
weekly 2 hour ALAC meeting = 8 hours per month on average. I am not
kidding. That's how much work there is. If this happens in addition to
all of the other conference calls which our ALAC members attend (RALO
calls, WG calls etc.), I do not see many ALAC members being able to
sustain their participation.

Kind regards,

Olivier