[ALAC] [Registrants-rights] Fwd: OPEN PUBLIC COMMENT: Proposed 2013 RAA Posted for Comment

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Mar 27 02:52:17 UTC 2013

Holly, I do not see a "link below" so do not know exactly what you
are referring to.

The gist of the statement that I am thinking of is pretty much what
you imply and as I implied today:

- We are very happy with the overall changes, this is a MUCH better
contract from the point of view of ICANN and registrants.
- Although we would prefer to have an RAA which both ICANN and
registrars have fully endorsed, we support ICANN's implied position
that it has the right to put a new RAA in place even if registrars
have not agreed to all provision.
- We have some concern with the unilateral right to amend, but at the
same time appreciate that ICANN needs some way to implement changes
quicker that though the regular amendment process and then waiting up
to five years for the new provision to take effect.
- ICANN has been silent on exactly how the RAA will be put into
effect, and in the 2008/9 version, it was deemed necessary for the
GNSO to ratify the new RAA before the Board could approve it. The
ALAC is taking this silence to mean that GNSO ratification will not
be required this time, a position that ALAC supports.
- ...

The ... needs to include:

- things that we feel need to be changed in the agreed to language.
- places where there is not closure but we strongly support ICANN's provision
- places where there is not closure but we strongly support the
registrar's provision
- preferably for all places whete there is still a difference, we
should come down on one side or another. This is one of the main
reasons this RAA is out for comment now.

It is in these last areas that we QUICKLY need very specific input.

Alan