[ALAC] Outcome of new gTLDs, "Strawman" proposal

Hong Xue hongxueipr at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 02:15:30 UTC 2013

> Whilst it is clear that previously abused names have a significant
> negative effect on Internet users, the proper course of action should
> have been to consult the GNSO. To-date, we do not know *what* kind of
> variation would be allowed, whether this includes typo-squatting, visual
> similarity or other systems that might be used to stifle freedom of speech.

I had expressed concerns on the trademark "variations" before, but it
is okay that my minority view was not accepted. Now I want to speak
loud against the 50 variations to include "translation" or
"transliteration" of any mark although its "abuse" has been recorded
in previous proceedings. There would be ridiculous results
particularly where these marks are generic terms, like APPLE, SUN or
DOVE. If taking into account the same or similar marks registered in
different class and country (like Havana Club registered in both US
and Cuba by different parties), 50 variations are simply opening a can
of worm.  Even if this is merely for sunrise and claims, the chaos
would be unimagineable.

Hong

--
Professor Dr. Hong Xue
Director of Institute for the Internet Policy & Law (IIPL)