[ALAC] New gTLD Program Committee - 25 June 2013

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Fri Jun 28 04:48:50 UTC 2013

The NGPC has been busy -
http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/documents/resolutions-new-gtld-25jun13-en.htm.

Lots of interesting stuff including reference to an automated Whois
verification tool that will be run by ICANN! Actually taking
responsibility for this instead of just presuming it is someone
else's job. Although this was clearly underway when the ALAC
submitted its comments on the GAC Safeguards, this is completely in
line with our concern about imposing new and onerous responsibilities
on the new registries, and ICANN doing whatever possible itself to
reduce such new requirements on registries.

Also note the proposed use of Mandatory Public Interest Commitments
for all new TLDs. Interesting concept. Now, we just need to see how
these PICs will actually be enforced.