[ALAC] Revised Rationale for Rejection of NCSG Reconsideration Request

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Fri Jun 28 03:23:35 UTC 2013

I call your attention to
<http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/governance/reconsideration/recommendation-ncsg-25jun13-en.pdf>http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/governance/reconsideration/recommendation-ncsg-25jun13-en.pdf.

I find this revised version far more palatable.

I particularly note:

"... we have no intention of our Recommendation being seen as against
the on-going, community-wide discussion about policy and
implementation. Further, it is important to note that this
Recommendation should not be construed as discounting the importance
of consulting with community members. Community consultation is at
the heart of the multistakeholder model, and is critical whether the
community is acting as a policy development body or during the
implementation of policy."

This matches my belief that the current Policy vs Implementation
discussion may be important, but whatever the dividing line, it does
not remove the need for community involvement as long as decisions
are being made which substantively affect us.