[ALAC] Fwd: ALAC Statement to the Board Regarding Security and Stability Implications of New gTLDs

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Tue Jun 11 19:47:47 UTC 2013

Dear ALAC members,

as you know, the ALAC has recently voted to ratify the "ALAC Statement
to the Board Regarding Security an Stability Implications of New gTLDs".
Prior to sending this to the ICANN Chair of the Board as well as the
Chair of the New gTLD Program Committee, ICANN has made an announcement
regarding "Security Studies on the Use of Non-Delegated TLDs, and
Dotless Names":
https://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-28may13-en.htm

With our Statement in hand, I took the opportunity of asking Julie
Hammer about the opportunity to have a strongly worded cover letter
accompany the ALAC Statement to be sent to the Chairs mentioned above.
At the end of last week, I have worked in haste with the Executive
Committee as well as our ALAC Liaison to the SSAC, to draft such a
letter and with time being of the essence, since our Statement was
completed a week earlier, I have sent the Statement plus the strong
Cover Letter to the Board Chair, New gTLD Programme Committee Chair,
copying the GAC Chair, the ICANN CEO, the SSAC Chair and the ATRT2 Chair.

If you believe that we should send an even stronger message, I offer
that the ALAC could decide to use parts of the cover letter to generate
another ALAC Statement. So far, I have not received a reply from the
Board but it is early days to judge response, considering the importance
of the message conveyed. May I suggest to see what kind of response we
receive to our earlier Statement prior to issuing another Statement?

Having been unavailable over the week end, I apologise for the time it
took me to forward this to you but in the interest of transparency it is
important that you are aware of this concern and of the fact that we are
pushing hard to make sure the message is understood and taken into
account by ICANN. The Security and Stability of the Internet's domain
name identifiers is of utmost importance.

Best regards,

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond
ALAC Chair