[ALAC] Draft Statement on the questions from IGO/INGO PDP WG

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Sun Jan 6 05:21:32 UTC 2013

Hi Sala,

I read your 13-page submission dated September 24, and some of the useful
history and background in that document has indeed helped guide my
component of the analysis contained in Alan's proposed statement.

I'm not completely sure what you mean by "broad sweep". We are simply
re-iterating the position, which I believe has been well debated, that:

   - Combining the IOC and Red Cross positions is a severe mistake, with
   severe negative consequences,  that should still be undone

   - There is an end-user interest in limited protection for organizations
   that engage in end user facing activities and have demonstrated potential
   of harm through domain name abuse. This criteria excludes many of the INGOs
   currently requesting protection, but indeed (in our opinion) should extend
   beyond that realm and include charities such as NSF and Oxfam which have
   the potential for actual and real fraud and use confusion.

As ALAC makes statements to the Board, the GNSO activity and PDPs are one
part -- but only one part -- of our concern. It is the Board, based on GAC
prodding, that is lumping the IOC and ICRC protections together, and
introducing the issues of INGOs, while ignoring other real potential for
end user fraud or abuse. As such it is the Board that must be advised that
this is an ongoing and serious mistake. And it is this Board direction that
is driving the current GNSO directions.

In this light -- and given At-Large's bylaw-mandated responsibility to
advise not only  GNSO processes but also the Board and the rest of the
community on the big-picture issues at hand -- I would like to know,
specifically, which components of the proposed statement are objectionable
to you. I have re-read your input and cannot easily extract such analysis.

- Evan