[ALAC] Draft Statement on the "Strawman" Rights protection mechanisms

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Sat Jan 5 23:17:02 UTC 2013

As you are aware, the Business and Intellectual Property
Constituencies of the GNSO Commercial Stakeholder Group submitted a
request to ICANN during the Toronto meeting to make a number of
changes to the rights protection mechanism associated with new gTLDs.
Based on a number of a hoc meetings a "strawman" proposal was
developed and ICANN has put it out for public comment. More can be
found at https://community.icann.org/x/KYlEAg.

This process has been extremely controversial, and there is
significant opposition to it within the GNSO (some arguably for very
good reasons).

Evan and I were asked to draft a statement for the consideration and
possible approval of the ALAC and it can be found at
https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=38045993.
The comment period closes on 16 January, so please post any comments quickly.

Evan is travelling at the moment, but his contributions were
substantive and the document has his support. We both believe that it
conforms well to positions previously taken by the ALAC.

A copy is attached here for your convenience.