[ALAC] Closed generic statement

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu Feb 28 15:53:41 UTC 2013

On 28 Feb 2013, at 15:04, Alan Greenberg wrote:

>  Do you have any specific
> wording recommendations to change it to make it clearer or
> more  self-consistent?

> sentence read "On the whole, the ALAC does not believe that unlimited
> closed generics provide public benefit."

How about:

"On the whole, the ALAC cannot determine whether an unlimited closed generics provide public benefits."

Though even this seems exaggerated.

Why are we talking about unlimited closed generics.
I thought we were talking about a very finite number.
In fact a relatively small number.

Has ALAC really determined that a small number of closed generics are not in the public interest?

How was this determined?  If indeed it was determined, we should describe how?

Perhaps a truer statement might be:

The current belief of some in ALAC is that the small number of closed generics may not be in the public interest.

avri