[ALAC] ALAC & At-Large involvement in GNSO activities

Rinalia Abdul Rahim rinalia.abdulrahim at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 06:16:05 UTC 2013

Dear Alan,

Your dedication and service to the At-Large are legendary.  I had wondered
often how it would be possible for anyone to fill your gigantic shoes,
which tend to grow exponentially in the frenetic ICANN vortex and endless
cycle of calls for input.  The same thought applies to Cheryl and Olivier.

With expanding scope, a team of people with the right blend of skill,
interest and dedication could be a solution.  The crux of the matter is the
sustainability of the volunteer model itself, and I think that the ALAC
needs to ponder this issue carefully because demand will always exceed
supply where ICANN is concerned.

If we have limited capacity and the issue space keeps expanding and the
wider At-Large community is unable to help us pick up the slack, then the
rational solution is to be selective, which means that we have to
prioritize the issues that we address.  And in this regard, I tend to agree
with Jean-Jacques that we should focus on principles and issues with big
picture implication in terms of the global public interest.

The management argument says that we need to focus.  The evolutionary
argument says that it is now the right time to focus on higher
principle-based issues with wide ramification for end users.

The question that we need to consider (if there is agreement on this) is
whether we are comfortable with not being responsive on many issues.  My
sense is that there may be discomfort in the course of implementation and
it will be something that we struggle with.  This is not to say that we
should not do it!

I wecome the views of other ALAC members on this topic.

Best regards,

Rinalia