[ALAC] Proposed Bylaws Changes Regarding the Technical Liaison Group: LACRALO Statement

Dev Anand Teelucksingh devtee at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 19:16:17 UTC 2013

Re: "(1) Problem-Solving Time Lag"

What is puzzling is that the Final Report
http://www.icann.org/en/groups/reviews/tlg/board-technical-relations-wg-final-report-22aug11-en.pdfmakes
4 recommendations (emphasis mine):

* "Recommendation: ICANN should consult with the TLG's constituent bodies
individually about what relationship and involvement in governance
mechanisms is appropriate for the respective organization. This
consultation should be undertaken by the ICANN Board or senior staff.
* Recommendation: ICANN should not disband the TLG before it has
substantially concluded these consultations. We believe that a time frame
of six months should be sufficient to substantially conclude these
consultations.
* Recommendation: ICANN should work to strengthen and better
institutionalize the mechanisms for obtaining technical advice and input,
including at the Board level. It is the recommendation of this Working
Group that, given the ICANN Board’s current mode of operation, the
organization continues to need technical advice and expertise within the
Board's deliberations, *such as the expertise and advice that has been
provided by liaisons appointed by the TLG*. A decision to disband the TLG
should be made only in conjunction with simultaneously addressing this
issue.
Recommendation: The Nominating Committee is designed for broad
participation. *The TLG provides for participants in the Nominating
Committee who are connected to the broader technical community. ICANN
should maintain this connection, and should continue the TLG’s role of
fulfilling it*"

SO, were there consultations done by ICANN Staff with the TLG
organisations? What were the outcomes? And how did we reach from that Final
report recommendations in 2011 that seems to suggest maintaining the status
quo (while calling on ways to strengthen and better institutionalize the
mechanisms for obtaining technical advice) to the proposed bylaw changes in
2013 to remove the TLG liasion to the Board AND the removal of the delegate
to the Nominating Committee?

Given the concerns of having persons on the Board with sufficient technical
expertise, this change regarding the removal of the delegate from the TLG
to the nominating committee should NOT be supported and the TLG should
continue to be able to select a delegate to serve on the Nominating
Committee.

Re: "(2) Dilemma in Removal of the TLG Liaison from the Board"

The TLG seems to be very constrained by the ICANN bylaws for obtaining
advice from the group as a whole, advice is obtained only from the
organisation(s) when directly asked by the Board.

Under Article X1, Section 2 (bolded key phrases for emphasis):

"4. TLG Procedures. *The TLG shall not have officers or hold meetings, nor
shall it provide policy advice to the Board as a committee* (although TLG
organizations may
individually be asked by the Board to do so as the need arises in areas
relevant to their individual charters). Neither shall the TLG debate or
otherwise coordinate technical issues across the TLG organizations;
establish or attempt to establish unified positions; or create or attempt
to create additional layers or structures within the TLG for the
development of technical standards or for any other purpose.

"6. Individual Technical Experts. Each TLG organization shall designate two
individual technical experts who are familiar with the technical standards
issues that are relevant to ICANN's activities. *These 8 experts shall be
available as necessary to determine, through an exchange of e-mail
messages, where to direct a technical question from ICANN when ICANN does
not ask a specific TLG organization directly*."

The "watchdog" role of the TLG is NOT to watch and comment on the ICANN
activities but rather to "advise the Board of the relevance and progress of
technical developments in the areas covered by each organization's scope
that could affect Board decisions" and to draw attention to global
technical standards issues that affect policy development within the scope
of ICANN's mission."

Re: (3) Relevance of Organizations in the TLG

I was surprised from my research of the other 4 organisations in the TLG
that ICANN isn't formally listed/registered as a member or observer/liaison
in these organisations. I fully agree that ICANN should be present in these
organisations given the efforts of ensuring technical advice from these
organisations in ICANN. Indeed, the presence of representatives from ICANN
in these organisations could minimise the need for a TLG construct and the
current issues with the TLG.
I note that ICANN has yet to join the Unicode Consortium
http://www.unicode.org/consortium/consort.html). Given the issue of IDNs,
should this be a candidate for the TLG?

Re: (4) Mechanism for a Fully Functional TLG

Agreed.

Kind Regards,

Dev Anand