[ALAC] New draft on Public Interest Commitment DisputeResolution Procedure

h.raiche at internode.on.net h.raiche at internode.on.net
Wed Aug 28 11:30:30 UTC 2013

 Hi Rinalia - and everyone

 In the ALAC meeting, did you manage to discuss the schedule for the
BA meeting? I am hoping that we will continue with a Multi Stakeholder
Forum - the two we have had have been really popular and successful
(with deep congratulations to Rinalia). For BA, while I suggested that
it would be a good time to look at EWG, it would be an even better
time to look at the gTLD processes (or lack thereof) and - at this
late stage - see what can still be rescued. I hope this idea was
discussed and adopted

 Holly

 On Wed 28/08/13 5:24 PM , Rinalia Abdul Rahim
rinalia.abdulrahim at gmail.com sent:
 The logical guess would be because the text is being negotiated by
the
 parties, Olivier. Alan may know more.

 Rinalia
 On Aug 28, 2013 3:47 PM, "Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond"  wrote:

 > Dear Rinalia,
 >
 > thank you for flagging this and monitoring it. It is clear that if
the
 > draft remains as is to become policy, it is unacceptable. I have
 > actually touched on this in my meeting with Compliance in the Los
 > Angeles ICANN offices in August.
 >

 > On 28/08/2013 03:40, Rinalia Abdul Rahim wrote:
 > > *What is interesting:*
 > > 1. Third parties cannot report/file PIC violation (the entity
that
 > > files/reports has to demonstrate that it has been harmed).
 >
 > I told Compliance this was unacceptable.
 > > 2. No mention of fees for filing violation. Also, unclear who
will bear
 > > the cost burden when panel is constituted to render judgement.
ICANN
 > tends
 > > to pass on this type of cost burden to the parties.
 > At this stage, nobody could give me an answer on this.
 > > 3. Burden is on the violation filer/"reporter" to make a thorough
and
 > > complete filing of objection and to make itself available for a
 > > "conference" or consultation. If filings are incomplete or the
reporter
 > > doesn't show for the conference, case is dropped.
 > I told Compliance this was unacceptable.
 > > 4. Reporter can be designated as "Repeat Offender" based on track
record,
 > > which can be counted against it in future case filings and
consideration.
 > I told Compliance that they had no legal basis to be able to do
this. It
 > is outside their mandate to "ban" someone from a system since the
only
 > parties they can "ban" are parties they have a contract with.
 > If they do restrict use of the tools with Acceptable Use Policies
they
 > will need to demonstrate that these tools do no restrict the ICANN
 > Public Interest mission.
 >
 > The ALAC filed a Statement about this in April 2013:
 > https://community.icann.org/x/pJlwAg [2]
 > Clearly, the current draft does not appear to have taken the ICANN
 > Statement in account. Oje cannot fault the ICANN Staff summary of
 > comments which was, it appears, well executed:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-draft-picdrp-15mar13/msg00010.html
[3]

 > So how did things remain as they were circulated by ICANN Staff to
 > Registries?
 >
 > Kind regards,
 >
 > Olivier

 At-Large Online: http://www.atlarge.icann.org [6]