[ALAC] Fwd: [ALAC-Announce] CALL FOR COMMENTS: ALAC Statement on the Protection Mechanism (RPM) Requirements

Hong Xue hongxueipr at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 03:16:12 UTC 2013

> This is an excellent draft.  I generally agree with the statement, but
> there is an issue with regard to paragraph 3.
>
> The requirement that registries "MUST check all labels in a variant set
> against the Domain Name Label List for Trademark Claims before any domain
> names in the set are registered" works perfectly for languages with scripts
> that have consistent IDN tables like the Han script for the Chinese
> language.  This is because the result of any check involving consistent IDN
> tables would yield the same results.  For the Arabic script (the second
> most widely used writing system in the world after the Latin script), the
> result would not be consistent because the IDN tables for Arabic are
> inconsistent and would result in risks/confusion for registrants, trademark
> holders as well as end users.

I do believe the issue of SSAC has already been covered becuase it clearly
refers to "all the lables" against "the Domain Name Label List". I cannot
see what else it could mean. If it could be of any issue that is relevant,
it is already been addressed in my last paragraph that askes ICANN and
Registries to work with the corresponding language community to generate
and valid IDN variants. Also our comments are at the policy level. I'm not
comfortable to go to the technological details that are not the mission of
this intervention.

I guess there is no rules against at-large community to file 2 or more
comments on the same document. If the SSAC is so essential to your comment,
perhaps a separate comment would work better

--
Professor Dr. Hong Xue
Director of Institute for the Internet Policy & Law (IIPL)