[ALAC] Something we didn't think about.

h.raiche at internode.on.net h.raiche at internode.on.net
Wed Aug 21 11:46:07 UTC 2013

 I tend to agree with Evan and Hong (and JJS). Is this really an issue
for us? Or is there a larger issue here that we can draw attention to,
to make what are probably serious flaws in the whole gTLD provess at
least a bit better? Maybe at least draw attention to the lack of
consistency of decisions resulting from poor processes? I'm happy to
be convinced there is a role for ALAC, I don't see a role so far.

 Holly

 On Wed 21/08/13 5:26 PM , JJS jjs.global at gmail.com sent:
 *Hong +1.*

 2013/8/21 Hong Xue

 > The problem of inconsistency of the decisions lies largely in the
case
 > procedural management, rather than the AGK or the rules. If all 3
 > objections were filed roughly at the same time, there is no reason
for the
 > IDRC to appoint 2 different panels.
 >
 > Hong
 >

 > On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Evan Leibovitch  wrote:
 >
 > > I'm not overly concerned about this from an end users
perspective.

 > > This is a matter between warring parties within ICANN's
commercial
 > sectors
 > > and IMO well beyond ALAC's sphere of concern. As soon as any
application
 > > for the string was judged to be non-confusing, what little
interest
 > > At-Large had in this matter vanished.
 > >
 > > From an end-users PoV on confusing strings, the domain name
system is
 > > already well-poisoned. ICANN has already been seen to be silent
when
 > > registrars deliberately use the confusion between .COM and .CO as
 > selling
 > > point. (That CC names are beyond ICANN's ability to manage --
even when
 > > being used as generics -- is a subtlety lost on the public.) And
If
 > nobody
 > > cares about the confusion between .COM and .CO, then it's hard to
get
 > > suddenly concerned about confusion between .CAM and .COM (and
also .CA or
 > > .CAT, for that matter) and even harder to want to get involved in
the
 > > associated infighting.
 > >
 > > The only product that I have extracted from this event is
entertainment.
 > > find the variety in rulings (two applications for a string
non-confusing,
 > > but a third application for the exactly same string judged to be
 > confusing)
 > > to be highly amusing in its inconsistency. As Alan has said, the
AGB
 > rules
 > > don't anticipate this, so a few more lawyers will be blessing
ICANN's
 > > existence to pay for their Range Rovers.
 > >
 > > Certainly there are those who won't find this funny, But to
someone like
 > me
 > > who believes the current gTLD expansion is a stupendous mistake,
this
 > event
 > > is just Business as Usual. It's one more demonstration of the
many
 > > unintended consequences that such a botched effort was sure to
produce.
 > > Many have been revealed so far and there sill surely be more to
come,
 > > including some that will be far more severe than this. And given
its
 > scale,
 > > its complexity, and the sheer greed that motivated much of it,
 > anticipating
 > > all consequences of the expansion was simply impossible.
 > >
 > > IMO, one of ALAC's ongoing roles in this is to track and filter
these
 > > consequences, focused on minimizing harm from those after-effects
that
 > will
 > > affect end-users. This is not one of them, from what I can tell.
 > >
 > > - Evan
 > >

 > > On 20 August 2013 12:57, Alan Greenberg
 > wrote:

 > similarity
 > > >>

 > > > Not really, that was a real WE. Plenty of opportunities for all
of us
 > > > have caught this earlier...
 > > >

 > > > Also, nice Freudian slip of suing -> using.
 > > >>
 > > > Oops

 > > > At-Large Online: http://www.atlarge.icann.org [3]
 > > > ALAC Working Wiki:
 > > https://community.icann.org/**display/atlarge/At-Large [4]+
 > > > **Advisory+Committee+(ALAC) >

https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+Advisory+Committee+(ALAC
[5])

 > > --
 > > Evan Leibovitch
 > > Toronto Canada
 > >
 > > Em: evan at telly dot org
 > > Sk: evanleibovitch
 > > Tw: el56
 > >
 > > At-Large Online: http://www.atlarge.icann.org [7]
 > > ALAC Working Wiki:

https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+Advisory+Committee+(ALAC
[8])

 > --
 > Professor Dr. Hong Xue
 > Director of Institute for the Internet Policy ">> Beijing Normal
University
 > http://www.iipl.org.cn/ [9]
 > 19 Xin Jie Kou Wai Street
 > Beijing 100875 China