[ALAC] Rights versus benefits

h.raiche at internode.on.net h.raiche at internode.on.net
Tue Aug 13 20:15:54 UTC 2013

 Hi Evan (and everyone)

 Actually, that document was on my list of issues that still need
addressing. We were not consulted about it, and I have not had a
chance to go through to see in detail what is there - and what should
be there. My impression is that all that was done was to take the
obligations registrars have under the RAA and turn them into the one
page document called Rights - or Benefits. In fact, since that is all
the document is, it really is a light of what a registrant has a right
to expect.

 Holly

 On Wed 14/08/13 5:07 AM , Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org sent:
 Hello all,

 One of the things that I noticed in the last Registrar Accreditation
 Agreement -- snuck in at the last moment, so I didn't notice it
before it
 was presented at Durban -- was the replacement of the term
"Registrant
 Rights and Responsibilities" with "Registrant Benefits and
 Responsibilities" in some but not all cases. Indeed, it looked like a
very
 sloppy search-and-replace effort because the word "rights" was
removed in
 some places but not others in what appears as random fashion.

 Given that the ALAC did not have an opportunity to discuss this
during the
 Durban meeting, I raised it in an individual capacity during the
Durban
 Public Forum (see page 97 of the Forum
 transcript [1];
 ).

 When asked, Fadi spent what seemed quite a long time (not reflected
in the
 transcript) conferring silently with his staff (including legal
staff),
 after which he promised to "look into it".

 I would like to ask Olivier and/or At-Large staff to please follow up
on
 this. I think that the community is owed an explanation of how the
term
 "registrant benefits and responsibilities" ever crept into ICANN
lingo; I
 don't ever recall it ever being used in a policy context.

 Thank you,

 --
 Evan Leibovitch
 Toronto Canada