[ALAC] Revised statement on the PIC DRP

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Apr 11 01:23:33 UTC 2013

The original draft and discussion can be found at
https://community.icann.org/x/pJlwAg. Thanks to
Rinalia and Evan for a great revision (which I have slightly tweaked here).

ALAC Statement on Public Interest Commitments Dispute Resolution Procedure

The ALAC is deeply troubled/concerned by the
proposed enforcement mechanism for the new gTLD
Public Interest Commitments, which appears to be ineffectual by design.

Although described as a Dispute Resolution
Procedure, the Public Interest Commitment (PIC)
was introduced to the community as a process that
could be “enforced by ICANN”
(<http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/base-agreement-05feb13-en.htm>http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/base-agreement-05feb13-en.htm).

Many in our community were led to believe that
“enforced by ICANN” meant that the PIC process
would include an ICANN Compliance connection and
that ICANN itself would carry out the enforcement.

As the PIC is currently presented, the process:
    * Requires possibly significant fees with
magnitudes that are currently unknown;
    * Requires that the complainant demonstrates
measurable harm due to the violation;
    * May be filed by ICANN, but without any obligation for it to do so.

Given that no exception is noted in the PIC
process, ICANN could presumably only file an
objection if ICANN itself could demonstrate that
it was measurably harmed.  This situation recalls
the sad period when ICANN applied RAA sanctions only when it was not paid.

The UDRP, where decisions are outsourced like
those of the proposed PICDRP, was deliberately
designed to operate independently – the opposite
of "by ICANN" as claimed by ICANN for the PIC.
And unlike trademark claimants using the UDRP,
members of the public should not be expected to
have financial – or even direct – interest in
order to complain when PICs are not being fulfilled.

The ALAC believes that ICANN made a serious
mistake in not requiring all new gTLD applicants
to stand by their application promises in the
form of contractual compliance.  We expected that
the PIC, despite being a late addition to the
application process, would be used as a crucial
mechanism to uphold the interest of the public
and the end user.  As proposed, the PIC
implementation is weak with features that
actively discourage and penalize
complainants.  The PIC Dispute Resolution
Procedure as it is currently presented provides
little leverage for the Global Public Interest
and it is therefore unacceptable.  We firmly
believe that ICANN must bestow upon the PIC
process the true force of responsible and competent enforcement.