[ALAC] Fwd: Draft GNSO WHOIS RT Final Report Summary Chart

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Sep 27 23:48:04 UTC 2012

At the last GNSO Council meeting, the Whois Review Team issue was
discussed, specifically the inability of the GNSO Council to submit a
single statement addressing the Board's question on advice on how to
address the 16 Recommendations due to the wide range of views held by
the various SGs and Constituencies.

I made a comment that I found it rather unfortunate that a statement
could not be submitted, even if it was just a summary of the various
views held. That suggestion was accepted and I am attaching a draft
of the positions held.

As an aside, one of the replies to my suggestion was that the GNSO
did not need to oversee such a summary, but rather ICANN staff could
have done it and just given it to the Board. I was very taken aback
by this, because as some of you may remember, there has been a LOT of
discussion about staff taking GNSO reports and statements (and those
of other groups such as the ALAC), summarizing them (and perhaps
emphasizing some aspects over others) and giving them to the Board.
The gist of this discussion is that staff should not be summarizing
(and perhaps editorializing), but rather the Board should see the
SO/AC position. So this suggestion was almost a wish to return to the
bad old days. I did point out that it was fine for policy staff to be
involved in such a condensation of positions, but that the GNSO. The
attached paper is the result.

Alan