[ALAC] Red Cross/IOC - Questions for Consensus Call - Reply due by September 26th

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Sep 20 15:21:54 UTC 2012

> Actually, in parallel to what Alan is suggesting, I would actually like to
> propose a formal advice to the Board demanding public accountability
> regarding why the IOC and RC are insisted to be linked. Such a path
> undermines public confidence in an organization, that can't tell the
> difference --regarding public protection -- between a humanitarian body and
> one that merely seeks to maximize sponsorship revenue.

In line with some of the comments by Avri and others, some other At-Large
members have agreed to join an effort to create such a statement, intended
for ALAC approval.

The staterment is intended to:
1) Be concise (no more than a page or two)
2) Primarily target the Board, not the GNSO
3) Deal with the proposed mechanisms, including PDPs and temporary lists
4) Address the foolishness of combining the IOC and RC, as a warning about
ICANN's positioning itself to make judgements about groups worthy of
protection (and who isn't)
5) Suggest an alternate robust method to protect non-trademarked
public-interest names.

The tentative workspace for this effort is at
https://community.icann.org/x/wowoAg

- Evan